My workbench is cluttered with fasteners, tools, and debris from the last project. Which makes it terribly inconvenient to find anything, let alone do any work. So every time I wanted to work on something in the garage I had to dig out my sawhorses, find a large piece of something to straddle the sawhorses, and then hope the whole thing wouldn’t slide around or outright collapse on me in the middle of whatever I was doing. I’ve made do, but it was a frustration, and I finally decided to do something about it.
- A dozen 8-ft, 2×4 studs from the home center, probably more than I’ll need, but you can always find something to do with 2×4’s.
- A 10-ft, 4×4 post that the previous owner left in the rafters of the garage.
- Two 4×8-ft sheets of 3/4-inch plywood.
- Four heavy duty, 330-lb. capacity, lockable 5-inch casters. Because we don’t want this thing to get bumped and roll into my car.
- A box of 3 1/2-inch wood screws.
- Enough 1 1/4 lag screws to attach the casters, so 16 of them.
Once I had gathered my supplies I set about building a 4-ft by 8-ft rolling work bench.
It’s basically just two 4 foot by 8 foot walls laid on their sides, with the 4×4 posts supporting them. It’s quite heavy, very sturdy, and gives me lots of working room.
Once it was done, I realized that it would work nicely as an out-feed surface for my table saw. So I built the shelf there on the end to match the surface height on the table saw. I’m less happy with the way that turned out and pretty well convinced that despite the supports I added, it’s going to sag over time. But I’ll deal with that when it happens. At this point, it works for me and it cost less than $200 to put together.
And here it is, all covered with shit and tucked nicely to one side of the garage. As long as I don’t get a second car that I want to put into the garage, this should work out quite nicely.