I took last Friday off in order to get my drywall done, or at least close to done. And a long weekend seemed a good way to do that. Friday, I did get some of that done and even Saturday started off on the right foot. But then I got distracted by another project.
Our router had been getting a bit flaky of late. It might have something to do with the cloud of drywall dust, sawdust, and cement dust it lives in down in the basement. I’ve been getting an increasing number of complaints from the family that all sound like, ‘why is the WiFi not working?’ A sure sign that something needs be done.
It’s probably overkill, but it kept me busy for a few days.
I still need to do some cable management and wire up the rest of the switches and outlets, but mostly, it’s done. An old HP PC, with a new power supply and new case fan, to act as the server. The cable modem, new router, and a pair of 8-port switches to shuttle everything about. I added the network printer directly to the router to alleviate the sleeping PC problem. And finally, I added a monitor and an old hard drive enclosure for good measure and more storage , upgraded to Windows 10, and wallah it’s all up and running.
All in all it adds up to about 4 TB of network disk space. Enough for all my music, audio books, pictures, videos, and anything else that might need to be shared. Though I must confess to feeling a certain impulse to increase that space with the acquisition of some new drives. But, I’ll resist until such time that becomes more of a need.