Spring Project Season Begins

Spring project season has begun. It actually started last weekend, but I was busy working on the basement and didn’t find the time to give it an official kick-off post. The first project for the season is building the shelves for the basement entertainment wall.

Lady Ronn mentioned, during a recent discussion of what we should do next, that she would like the basement and laundry room areas finished. Both of these projects have been in that ongoing-but-never-ending state since she moved in… 6-years ago by my count.

I guess finishing the basement is a reasonable request given how long it’s gone on. It’s one of those projects that I was going gangbusters on when I thought all three of the boys were going to be here with us. But then I realized that I was going to be doing this all on my own, and then they started moving out, and then it was just a place we walked through to get to the laundry room. But I really want to get it done enough to put some carpet down.

Last weekend, I cleared all the old shelves and moved the basement clutter around so that I could have room to build. Then I built and leveled a 2×4 ladder to act as the base for the new cabinets and shelves.

sauder shelving is on the way out

Getting a 17-foot ladder down the stairs and into the basement wasn’t going to happen, so I had to do it in two pieces. Which didn’t make leveling it up any easier. But here it is, leveled, shimmed, and screwed to the wall. Time to start laying out the cabinets and the shelves. The plan for this wall is making it necessary to raise the outlets up and out from behind the cabinets. So, that is what I did yesterday. You can see that I also built the center section below where the future TV will live.

framing in the project

Today, I’ll finish rewiring the new outlet locations and get the frames up for the tall shelves that go on top of the cabinets. I decided to go with adjustable shelves on these two pieces, so I picked up a Kreg Shelf Pin Jig and I’m looking forward to checking that out and seeing how well it works. I should probably patch the mess I made of the wall, as well.

Once I get the two towers built I can start on the face frames, but that’ll have to wait until next weekend. Later.