Yesterday did not feel like a productive day. I did a lot of stuff and was working until after 8 pm, but it doesn’t feel like it.
More spot fixes of the drywall. Hung one light and rehung another. Finished building my suffit. And then at the end, because things were getting out of hand, I cleaned up my workspace.
I need to pick up some 2-foot long cross-ties for the ceiling grid. I’m going to put a light in that space next to the main plumbing drain line.
I cleaned out and started working on the laundry room today. But so far, the absolute biggest pain and least fun thing about this has been finishing those shelves I built net to the stairwell. So many corners and so little space to work.
Here’s a little bit of handy advice for you. You’ve probably seen both of these types of plungers, but did you realize that they’re for different things. Sure, you can use them interchangeably for the most part, but they work better for their intended purpose.
The toilet plunger has a big tapered cup on the bottom to get down into the bowl and make a better seal, give more pressure, and what not. Most of them have a collapsible cup that can be folded up inside to create a sink plunger. But do you really want to touch that or put it in your sink? What you want is one of these…
A sink plunger doesn’t have the tapered bit and will sit nicely in the sink to do your plunging. These come in a variety of sizes. But the biggest benefit to them is that they haven’t been in your toilet. Or if yours has, you realize what a terrible job they do at that job. They’re great for sinks, not so much for toilets.
Yesterday, Lady Ronn pointed out that the floor in front of the laundry room was damp…
So that can mean only one thing; the tub/shower is leaking. Not leaking like a stream, but leaking so that nobody notices it immediately. Not great news.
I turned on the tub and went downstairs to check things out. Nothing. I turned on the shower and went back downstairs. Spatter. Spatter. Drip. That’s weird.
It was definitely leaking, but had a weird splash drip sort of thing going on and I couldn’t see anything looking up from the basement. Pulled the handle and valve cover off and it’s wet in there, but seems to be coming from above. Crawled up on the tub and sure enough there is a dribble of water coming out of the wall, the escutcheon is covering a soggy bit of wall board and the paint is floating. Time to get the saw out.
Plumbing is leaking at the union of the finished shower nipple and the brass elbow. I might have been able to fix it without cutting the wall, but I didn’t know the extent of the problem. And after putting a full turn on it, still weeping. So, I’m going to pull out the pipe and redo the tape, but I’ll let this dry out for a couple of days before putting it back together and patching the drywall. Baths only for a few days.
I did not get the vanity in place yesterday, or today, for a variety of reasons. First among those is all the wall opening, plumbing rerouting, and drywall repair that I was not expecting to do. But all of that is done now. The vanity fits. The valves don’t leak. The valves are accessible. And you’d almost never know that I had to cut a hole in the wall. I had to cut a spacer for the side of the vanity and I’m staining it to match, but that’s not going as fast as I’d like. I also had to order a side-splash thing, because my walls are not square and I have nearly a half-inch gap on the right side. Which is super frustrating, because I didn’t frame either of these walls. Oh well, it’ a old house.
As I had to wait for that stain to set up before I can darken it up, sand, finish, what-not. I took some time to start setting up the sink faucet and drain. Things are stuck in waiting mode. Can’t cut the trim until the vanity is in place. Can’t place the vanity until the spacer is in place. Can’t sand or restain the spacer until it’s fully dry. But with all that said, I think I did okay this weekend. We can use the tub and the toilet, but doing either would require a decided lack of modesty, as there is no door in place 😉
I dragged the vanity and sink top upstairs and into the bathroom. I slid the vanity into place and realized that this isn’t going to work. There is a center rib on the back of the cabinet that is there to hold the brackets for the drawers, it is also perfectly lined up with the drain and water line. I tried to think of someway to re-engineer the cabinet, but no can do. So, plumbing is going to need to be moved. Let’s cut into the wall…
I know that drywall patch looks terrible. I’ll be putting a second coat of mud over it, but it’ll be behind the vanity and no one will see it, until the next remodel. I feel bad about it, but not as bad as I feel about having to cut into my new wall. Grrr…
Despite some uncertainty in the plumbing department–everything seems to be holding and there are no leaks–the toilet has been seated, filled with water, and tested. Everything checks out and is working properly at this time.