Today, I signed up for a local writers conference. It’s through the local library, Kent District Library (KDL). Apparently, this is the third time around for them. For me, it’ll be the first.
Here’s their add copy…
What: Third annual Celebrate the Mitten Writers Conference
When: Saturday, March 29, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Where: Cascade Township Branch
Lots more info here!
Registration starts today for KDL’s popular conference for writers! Published authors including — but not limited to — novelists Kristina Riggle and Aric Davis and publishing insiders from Christian publishing giant Baker Books, literary agent and editor Credo Communicationsand self-published authors’ helper PublishSavvy, just to name a few, will share their experiences and tips on how to take your writing to the next level, book marketing and social media, query letters and book proposals, and more. All genres and skill levels are welcome. Separate pre-registration is required for morning and afternoon sessions and participant spots are limited. Co-sponsored by Baker Books, Credo Communications, Publish Savvy and Pot-Boilers. To register, call 616-784-2007 or click on the links below.
Register early; spots for this event go very quickly and walk-ins cannot be accommodated!
9:00 AM – 12:45 PM — Morning Session (geared to not-yet published writers, but all are welcome)
9:00 – 9:30 AM — Welcome and Introductions
- 9:45 – 10:30 AM — Five Things Aspiring Writers Should Know (Because There’s Not Enough Time for 10)— author and editor Shelly Beach and author Kristina Riggle
- 10:40 – 11:20 AM — Traditional, Self-Publish or Can I Do Both? – Shannon Janeczek, owner of Publish Savvy; author and micropublisher Don Pearson, novelist Aric Davis
- 11:30 AM – 12:15 PM – You Can Do This: An Editor’s Manifesto – How to Stay Motivated and Keep Moving toward Publication – Chad Allen, editorial director, Baker Books
30 minutes to network/sell books/trade business cards
12:45 – 1:45 PM – Lunch on your own
1:45 – 5:00 PM — Afternoon Session (geared to published authors, but all are welcome)
1:45 – 2:00 PM: Welcome and Introductions
- 2:00 – 2:45 PM — Social Media & Book Marketing Tips, Tricks and Gaffes — Children’s Author Sandy Carlson; Shannon Janeczek, Publish Savvy
- 2:55 – 3:40 PM — Query Letters & Book Proposals: What are They? Do I Need Them? — Shelly Beach, novelist Aric Davis
- 3:45 – 4:30 PM — Taking Your Writing to the Next Level – literary agent and copy editor Ann Byle, science fiction author Jim Hines