Shower Drain

In order to install my new shower I have to relocate the shower drain. The old shower was a small, cheap unit and the new one is a 48-inch, acrylic unit. So the difference is pretty significant; more than I could cheat at any rate. Besides, the drain is only 1 1/2-inch and it’s supposed to be 2-inches these days. So changes are in order.
I cut a hole in my basement floor. And I did it with a cement blade and my circular saw. It worked damn well, I have to say. Sure the floor is 4-inches thick and the saw only cuts 3 1/4-inches… but that’s what the sledge hammer is for. I wrapped the area in plastic sheeting to isolate it and then I goggled up,  added ear protection and my canister mask. And I am glad I did; so much cement dust. At one point, it was so thick I couldn’t see the saw that I was holding while I knelt on the floor. I got the shop vac involved in the process and it was better, but I was still glad to be wearing the mask.
Once the floor was cut and smashed out with the sledge I dug out the gravel and then down into the sand to find the pipe. In retrospect, I wish I had been more conscious of keeping the gravel separate from the sand. I found the pipe and was happy to see that everything on the far side of the trap was 2-inch. But then there was that unfortunate issue of the pipe not coming apart in the right place.
More cutting. More hammering. More digging.
Once that was done I pulled the old Fernco fitting and put a new one in and plumbed the rest in 2-inch PVC. Only it wasn’t that easy and I should have known that. I put a Fernco in the laundry room. That was at floor level and right where I could get at it. It was a pain in the ass then. This one was in a hole… It was a bit more difficult than the one in the laundry room. But with a little ingenuity (I used some 2×4 boards to create a lever. I used that lever to push the Fernco in with way more force than I could generate on my own.) I got it done.
Once the PVC was done I poured in a couple bags of sand and then covered that with some of the cleaner sand at the top of my pile. This is to keep the rocks away from the pipes. Then I put in my rocky/sandy mixture, trying to get more rocks than sand without much luck. I forced that down into all the areas beneath the floor that had been undermined, tamped it all down, and left myself 4-inches for cement.
Apparently, the chart I was looking at was for 40 lb. bags of cement, because I picked up six 80 lb. bags, thinking that four would probably be enough, but not wanting to be short. I used two. but it’s done and now I just need to wait for it to harden up and I can put my shower in.
I may have skipped some pictures in the process, but here’s what I did take.
20150812_183222  20150812_183247  20150814_175803  20150814_20201320150814_205949  20150815_115553