EPA 608 Replacement Card

I realized last week that I had lost my certification card for EPA 608. I haven’t needed it for years. I thought I was already registered with all the wholesalers that I visit regularly, apparently not. Grainger must have updated their registry in some way, because I wasn’t listed in their system today when I went to pick up some R-410A.

If you’re unfamiliar, Section 608 of the Federal Clean Air Act requires that all persons who maintain, service, repair or dispose of appliances that contain regulated substances be certified in proper refrigerant handling techniques.

I spent some time digging through my truck, digging through my files at home, digging through my various junk drawers, and generally scrambling around to find where this thing might have been left. It’s pretty easy to misplace a credit card size piece of cardstock.

I was completely unable to find it, but I did find an earlier card, from the middle 90s, that listed me as having passed Type 1. I must have gotten this while I still worked for my uncle at Nichols Heating, because that’s about the same time they started requiring this certificate. Anyway, I found that card and that’s sufficient to buy what I needed to buy.

My actual point to this post, is that I went to the ESCO Institute website an entered my name and social security number and it pulled up all of my certifications. Which is great. The part that’s not so great is that it cost $20 to get a replacement card.

So if you have a card, make sure you keep it some place where it’s secure and you can find it. But know that if you do lose it, and you happen to have taken your certification through ESCO, they have you on record and you can get a replacement card from them. It’ll just cost you 20 bucks.

That’s all for now. Later.